Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Misadventures of a Farm Wife, Part 2

Have I told you how much I love my farm life lately? I only wish I had pictures to prove these things. I swear they really do happen!

Let me set the stage...

Monday night. It's raining. We had just finished supper. I grab August's pj's and start to put them on her. Travis says, "oh, sh**!"

"What!" I yell back.
"Cows are out."
"You need help?" I question.
"It would be nice."

I tell August to put her shoes on. What does she grab? Her rubber cow boots! I put on my tennis shoes and situate August on my hip. As we walk out the front door August reminds me that it is raining and that she is getting wet.

The jerseys, enjoying the rain and their new found freedom, take off across the farm...as does Travis. I see the open gate and head for it. Four, five, six cows are out that I can round up by myself. I coax them gently using nice words like "stupid jersey get back in there" and "good holstein, you know what to do." They're in. I lock the gate, rain dripping down my nose, August still telling me that it is raining and that she is wet.

I walk around to the other side of the farm to help Travis and the students round up the last ten or so cows. Kid still on my hip. Only a farm wife would be able to achieve such a feat!

1 comment:

A said...

I can picture it now!! What a funny story!! That sounds like me the night Rylan had to carry a calf 1/4 mile across the hilly pasture into the barn while I tried to fend off the mom with a cane..It was freezing cold..getting dark..we were just getting ready to go out to eat..and I'm scared shitless of this mother cow chasing me and Rylan across the pasture because we are trying to save her baby from frostbite..Holy Crap I was frightened!