Saturday, December 10, 2011

On Teaching Charity

I've spent some time this holiday season thinking about how we as a family could give back. Travis and I have talked about what we would like to do for 4-H clubs and the FFA when we get back to Olney. (Both played such a big roll in what we are.) But for the time being, we want to make sure our kids realize how good they've got it and what it means to help others.

Finally I realized what we could do. A local radio station was holding a 13 hour toy drive at Walmart. Perfect. We would hurry to get ready and go to Walmart before I had to go to work. August was to pick out a toy, something that she likes to play with at home, to donate to Toys for Tots.

Quickly she settled on Strawberry Shortcake, with pink hair of course. We checkout out and August proudly carried her purchase to the tent outside. She was about to drop it in the box when the morning radio personalities appeared. One of them recognizes me from work. He looked at me, looked at August and said, "can we interview her on the radio?" Sure. "Great. We are live in ten seconds." A man from AT&T rushed out and recorded it.


YouTube Video


We had never intended on such a big deal being made of August's first donation. However, I am so happy it did. I hope that she always remembers that day.

We are so proud of her. She is wise beyond her years and compassionate. She may have taught me more than I taught her that day.

(Thank you WIXY for hosting the toy drive. Thank you AT&T for making a contribution and for recording it for us. Thank you Roofing Dog for being there. Both kiddos were amazed to see such a large and friendly dog.)

No comments: