Thursday, January 14, 2010

Misadventures of a Farm Wife, Part 3

The phone rings at 1 am. That's right, 1 in the morning. It's the University Police and there are cows out. I ask Travis if he needs my help. I usually go out and just leave August in bed when the cows get out at night. Not this time, he says, becuase the police are here and that is like child abandonment or something silly.

I got back to bed like I'm going to go back to sleep (ha!). Phone rings a few minutes later. Put August in the car, he says, I need you to barricade. Fantastic. I wake my peacefully sleeping two year old (who, by the way quit sleeping through the night until that night). I put her coat on her and wrap her in a blanket and throw her in the car, buckled of course becuase the police are here.

I back in to my position and wait. Here come a small herd of 7 or 8. A few minutes later, another small herd. I look in the rearview, there are three behind me. The make their way around the car. Here come the girls!, August proclaims like it was completely normal that the cows were walking around the car. I change positions. I realize that in my new position, the car is not enough and that I will have to become a human barricade.

One hour, five or six cops, and about sixty cows later we were done. If you want to see something funny, watch city boy cops try to herd cows. "This is like the great goat chase!," one said. "I can't wait to have a steak after this." "You pain in the ass, not you the cow."

What a life! I love this part of it!

No comments: